Episode 2: M is for Makers, Music, and Machine Learning
M is for Makers, Music, and Machine Learning
Welcome to The Bootloader, a bi-weekly podcast bringing you news, project updates, and product talk
from the tech and maker scenes. Paul and Tod will bring you three interesting things and chat about them for a few minutes each.
Full transcript available here.
Paul - thank you and FullControl follow-up
PixelBlaze expression language (Tod #1) 1:45
Whisper OpenAI (Paul #1) 5:50
- Blog post, paper and Google Colab example linked from their GitHub repository
- From OpenAI, who developed Dall-E
- Hackaday story
- Built with Python 3.9.9 and PyTorch 1.10.1
- 5 models from tiny size to large - the smaller the model, the faster it is and less memory needed but the fewer words it knows
- Trained on 680,000 hours of audio
- MIT Licensed, people already building on top of it:
Music generation in the browser (Tod #2) 11:03
PolyKeyboard (Paul #2) 16:41
- Poly Keyboard with OLED keycaps)
- Keycap demo on Twitter
- Split keyboard design
- rp2040 powered
- Bring your own key switches and keycaps (the flex cable needs to fit though the RGB slit of the key switch)
- Compatibility chart for key switches available - needs 8.MM slit for the LED
- Needs a 3D printed stem
- OLED is custom with a flex cable
- Blog and Ko-Fi
Samplebrain by Aphex Twin & Dave Griffiths (Tod #3) 21:27
Kevin McAleer and the Pikon (Paul #3) 23:48
If you like what you hear, one of the best things you can do to help the show is tell a friend or write a review.
Consider supporting the show financially - your support helps with the cost of hosting, recording and transcripts. Thank you for your support!